Sunday, October 3, 2010

It's official.

Ezcema.

It's back.

And, it's bad.

As of last night,
Henry and I are officially,
no bones about it,
dairy-free.

His poor bottom was raw from a day of random tailgate food.

The final straw was when I saw a very familar red dry patch on Liza's bottom.
Not positive but I have a feeling it is her first spot of ezcema.

Naptime was spent googling hidden dairy ingredients.
Yep.
Everything we ate yesterday was on the list.

Sausage.
Even sausage was on the list.
Who knew?

------------------------------------------------------

After all this informative googling,
I felt like I deserved a treat.

Liza was still napping and
Henry was outside with Taylor.

Cookies.
I needed cookies.

Of course, my favorite cookie recipes call for a lot of butter.
Damn you dairy products.

I can deal with substituting cow's milk with almond milk
but no butter in baked goods?
That is sad.

More googling ensues.

I find it.

My new favorite cookie recipe:

Dairy-Free Thumbprint Cookies

2 cups oat flour -
Not sure what oat flour is so I ran old-fashioned oatmeal through the food processor
1 cup ground nuts - hazlenuts
2/3 cups honey - love our local honey!
1/2 cup olive oil
fruit preserves - I used AllFruit with no added sugar

Heat oven to 350 degrees.
Combine dry ingredients.
Whisk together wet ingredients.
Fold just until dough forms.
Dough should be dry but not crumbly.

Form into small balls.
Make "thumbprints" and fill with fruit preserves.
Bake 20 minutes until golden brown.

Dare cookies not have refined sugar and flour?
I love them.



No comments: