Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Black Bean Soup My Way.

I glanced at the recipe about 2 hours before I commenced cooking.
Figuring it was a standard soup recipe, I decided I could wing it.
I was right.  
Good thing, huh?
This is a super versatile recipe and a perfect use for any 
fresh, frozen or leftover veggies that need to be eaten.


2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed.  Mash with a fork.
4 cups stock, broth or water- I used homemade chicken stock
6 carrots, chopped
6 new potatoes, chopped
3 ears of sheared corn
1 onion, chopped
garlic, minced
cumin, paprika, chili powder, cayenne powder, Braggs, salt and pepper
olive oil

1. Heat olive oil in a large heavy bottomed pan.
2. Saute onion, garlic, carrots and spices.
3. Add remaining remaining ingredients.
4. Bring to a boil.  Simmer until vegetables are tender.
5. Serve with cornbread.

*Once the vegetables were tender, I used my potato masher to mash up the chunks.  I liked how this made the soup much thicker and stew-like due to the 'mashed' potatoes.
*Last night was my first time making cornbread with almond milk.  The texture was definitely different and not light and fluffy like when I use whole milk.  But with this soup on top of a big slice, it was perfect!

No comments: