Friday, February 25, 2011

homemade deodorant.

Today, I made homemade deodorant.

My reasons:

1. Why not?  Really.  Why not?  It was easy to make and I already had the ingredients on hand.

2. It's not like I was super satisfied with the performance of my Sure solid stick.

3. I am always looking for a thrifty way to cut back grocery store spending.

4. Any breastfeeding woman can attest that breast tissue reaches into your armpit.  Chemicals.  Breast tissue.  Not such a good combination.

5. Granted, it's only been one day but it really works.  As in, no.sweat.at.all.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------




5-6 Tbsp Coconut oil
1/4 cup baking soda
1/4 cup arrowroot powder or cornstarch (I used cornstarch)
1. Combine baking soda and arrowroot powder/cornstarch.                                                                           


2. Cut coconut oil into the powder mixture with a fork or spoon until you reach deodorant consistency.



3. Scoop deodorant into a small jar to apply with your fingers.



























------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------















*I tried storing the deodorant in an empty deodorant dispenser but it turned out easier to just keep the deodorant in a lidded tupperware and use my fingers to apply.*





If you aren't familiar with coconut oil, it is a super versatile and super healthy oil good for cooking, moisturizing and as a base in many homemade beauty products.  It is a solid oil that melts upon contact with your body heat.  
This is only day one but I stayed sweat-free and odor-free all day long, including through a 2 hour span of cleaning and cooking with Liza asleep on my back.  



Regiments are not my style so I am not going to set a date for a followup post about the pros and cons of my deodorant.  


But, rest assure, I'll be back with an update.  

This is Mississippi and it's about to heat up!

11 comments:

Mandi @ Living the Good Life said...

Now, this is interesting. I have never used deo b/c I had a MAJOR reaction to the aluminum in it during puberty when the need generally first arises to use deo.

I have just always used baking soda. Just put it straight on my pits :) It works perfectly even on the muggiest of Mississippi summer days and even on Will working outside.

BUT i'm thinking this would be great for sleeveless, exposed underarm days! I don't have an empty deo container but I could try it in a jar or something.

The Brown's said...

thank goodness, another option! thanks for sharing. i'm starting to stank (and it's only February) now that my pregnancy hormones are diminishing (one of the few things i miss about being prego, the ability to sweat profusely and still smell nice).

Laura @ Our Messy Messy Life said...

Mandi, you could definitely use a little jar. It feels so good on your hands, you can rub in the excess like lotion.

Melissa, that worked out well for your last summer! I'm pretty sure I stunk all last summer when I was pregnant with Liza.

Aspiring Foster Mama said...

Awesome! I've used just coconut oil before and it worked pretty well... the hubby uses just baking soda. The combo should work great! :)

Kaitlin @ More Like Mary said...

I've never had to use to deodorant until Hannah was born and I started breastfeeding and holding her all day. I just haven't been a sweaty person. But I've been using Tom's lately since it doesn't have any aluminum-good stuff! But I have all the ingredients for this-maybe I should give it a try!

Mandi @ Living the Good Life said...

Okay, so I just made some and DUH! Why haven't I thought of this? I am converted from my baking soda to this lovely, soft concoction! I use coconut oil as my moisturizer anyways and baking soda for my deo. I seriously can't believe I never thought to combine.

Thanks for sharing! I'm loving the way it feels.

Mollyandollie said...

Loving this idea! I think I will jump on your bandwagon and give it a shot...Maybe add a little tea tree oil or lavender?

Laura @ Our Messy Messy Life said...

Elizabeth, interesting about just using coconut oil. I suppose it keeps you smelling nice but do you stay dry?

Kaitlin, I can't believe you never used deodorant before....

Mandi, glad you like it!

Molly, I actually intended on adding some TTO but forgot to add it. Lavender would be nice too, though.

Kaitlin @ More Like Mary said...

Maybe that wasn't something I shouldn't have stated in such a public forum..... :)

Joshua and Bethany said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bethany said...

I am so glad you posted this because I just started making my own deodorant too!! I use almost the same recipe and keep it in a little jar. While I'm out today I'm going to buy some EO (I'm getting tired of lavender and that's all I have) and try a tiny batch to see how it turns out.

When my mom found out I was making my own deodorant she said, "You're so earthy. Please tell me you're shaving your pits."

Sure, mom ;)