Saturday, January 22, 2011

sauteed broccoli my way.

I actually cooked a well-rounded meal last night:
turkey meatloaf, Israeli couscous, and sauteed broccoli.

I quickly remembered why I've been slacking on the cooking lately:
it's time consuming and exhausting.

Liza on my back in the Ergo is easy enough but keeping Henry happy post-nap can be tough.
Thankfully, he was satisfied rinsing the broccoli in the sink for an inordinate amount of time 
and eating raw couscous by the handful.  

Even thought he wouldn't touch the final product, 
he was glad to munch on raw broccoli after I acted like it was off-limits.....
ah, the power of reverse physcology on a two-year-old.

Sauteed Broccoli My Way

broccoli, washed and destemmed
2 tbsp coconut oil
garlic, minced or chopped
(1) lemon, juiced
1/2 cup of chicken or vegetable stock
kosher salt

1. In a wok, heat coconut oil over medium heat.
2. Saute garlic until golden.
3. Add broccoli, lemon juice and chicken stock.  Stir and cover.
4. Cook until tender.
5. Salt to taste.

9 comments:

A Leoa Vigilante said...

YUM! I'm on a Candida Free diet so I appreciate this recipe ALOT! thanks!

Mollyandollie said...

I'm so with you on the reverse psychology on two year olds! It's starting to be the only thing that works...

Jude and Alisha said...

This actually sounds yummy to me (I know, gasps...!)

But what if I don't have a wok? What would you suggest? Just a skillet?

Laura @ Our Messy Messy Life said...

Alisha, just use a skillet that you can cover tightly so the broccoli can steam since there isn't much cooking liquid.

Anonymous said...

Actually, a skillet is preferred these days for our stoves. I do have a flat bottom wok--no cover, though.

Also, isn't coconut oil high in saturated fat?

Mama

Anonymous said...

What is Israeli couscous?? dd

Bethany said...

This sounds DELICIOUS! I'm going to make it!

Laura @ our messy messy life. said...

Mama, scroll to the bottom....

http://www.coconutresearchcenter.org/

Deedee - it's basically unprocessed couscous. It's fat and big instead of the little bitty couscous that can buy in the box. Do they sell couscous in Norway?

Anonymous said...

Laura.. they do sell couscous here but I have never cooked with it but think I would like it and it would be a good break from all the potatoes. Any good sites to get recipes? dd