Monday, January 3, 2011

Day two.

Today was a doozy.  Have I ever used that word before?  No.  Because today was my first official doozy of a day with two small children underfoot.

Potty training has started with Henry.  I have no issues with him staying in diapers for a few more months but his butt cheeks and thighs are deeply objecting to diapers of any sort.  For whatever reason, he has crazy sores that refuse to heal and we know that getting him out of diapers is the only way to keep an infection at bay.

Yesterday was Day 1.  It went well.  A trip to Wal-Mart resulted in a pack of Thomas the Train undies and Minnie Mouse panties and a little potty he picked out himself.  I must say I was quite proud that he chose a multifunctional potty and stepstool rather than falling for the consumerism of the Cars and Fisher-Price potty.  He liked his Minnie Mouse panties the best and the evening resulted in only one accident.  Not bad.

Day 2 started with a bang.  Poop and pee.  Have I ever been so proud?  Probably not.  From there, it was totally downhill.  No nap.  Pee on the floor.  Poop in the panties.  Messy messy house.  Tired and disconnected mama.

By 3:30, I had officially given up all hopes of potty training and had Henry back in a diaper.  Thankfully, my sister called with a pep talk and training commenced.

At 4:52, I called Taylor and told him that he needed to come home at 5 on the dot or I might go crazy.  Taylor walks in the door and Henry magically pees in the potty.  Success.  Finally.

Where is Liza during all of this?  Rolling every possible direction on her quilt.   Yes.  She chose today to become a roller.  It makes me sad to think that I thought "well, hell" when she got into her groove this morning, rather than sincerely celebrating her accomplishment.  I assume she can't read too deep into my thoughts as she seemed quite pleased with my half-hearted congratulatory song and dance.

Here I am.  2 glasses of wine later.  If you have an inspirational potty training story, please feel free to share.

16 comments:

childsplay said...

I think I should get a label for that one! It's like anything else - once it's over you'll thing that wasn't that bad -

Laura @ Our Messy Messy Life said...

Check. Consider yourself added.

I really had given up until you called. Good timing. I'll probably need a phone call tomorrow, as well.

Anonymous said...

Yeah Henry for pottie, yeah Liza for rollin', yeah Mom for hangin' in there and yeah Dad for making it home by 5pm so Mom can have some wine. Oh, these are the days. What a little family. Love Meme

Laurin said...

we are not there yet with the potty training but we are working on it too. Lennox peed in jay's lap yesterday. that was awesome. lennox does better with the potty when he is naked. I think he is more aware than when he wears underwear. he also enjoys peeing in the grass (and the shower)! ha. we take what we can get around here! if you pee anywhere besides the floor or in a diaper you qualify for a spoonful of mini m&ms. sorry for the crappy typing... got a baby in my other hand!

Laura @ Our Messy Messy Life said...

Laurin, he went outside today to pee and it was like a dog that couldn't find the perfect spot. He literally walked all over the yard and up and down the steps in search of the perfect place to pee. He eventually came back inside and pissed on the kitchen floor :)

Taylor would DIE if Henry peed on his lap!

derek and brittney said...

I made a "chart" for Beckett. He got one sticker when he peed and 2 when he pooped. Each day I would tell him how many stickers he needed to earn for a present that day. And after one month of only using the potty he would get the big firetruck he wanted at Walmart. I usually showed him his daily presents early that morning for motivation...
Yes, I totally bribed him with toys, but I really didn't care...he was potty trained in less than a week! Beckett was 32 months. They say the closer they are to 3 the easier it is. I hope for your sanity that tomorrow is better!

The Dumas Clan said...

hire Juan. she can even potty train 2 at the same time. no sweat. :)

good luck, sweet momma.

confused. wine and not beer?

Kristy said...

Hey!!...we bought Thomas undies yesterday too...though potty training has not commenced yet. Logan opened the package & they immediately went into his dump truck to be hauled around...potty training intimidates me!!

Laurin said...

ha! Lennox had a hard time trying to pee outside this summer but he finally masteredd it. THen he pooped outside too! Try explaining why it is ok to pee outside but not to poop to a 2 year old. They don't get it!

Emily said...

Laura, You can do it!! You just have to be diligent about it and Henry will get it. I know easier said than done. But once its over you will be so happy and PROUD!

The Shermans said...

We've almost got the peeing done, but it's been an uphill battle for awhile. The poop? A few weeks ago I thought we had finally made serious progress...pooped in the potty 3 times. Got a toy. Then went back to pooping in his pants. :( You and I had similar days yesterday--i've got a STUBBORN kid. He does do better naked.

Laura @ Our Messy Messy Life said...

Thanks for the encouragement! He has proved he has amazing bladder control -- as in 4 hours of not peeing -- so at least I know he is physically ready. It's just a confidence game now.

Claudia said...

We're still working on training Julia so no advice here. I hope the past couple of days have been better. I love that Hen picked Minnie Mouse undies! :) Miss you!!

Imogen said...

we are foraying into potty learning, too. Jack will get to the potty every time if he is naked from the waist down, but the minute you get pants on him it's accident city. i guess it'll just take a while for him to figure out that you can't pee in pants. Oh, and he wont poop on the potty. he starts hollering at me to get a nappy on him in time, lol. it's a pain but its encouraging that he knows when it's coming!

Good luck, it sounds as if you're doing great!

Anonymous said...

Yay Henry!!!! I just that decided Noah will be staying home with me tomorrow and the next 4 days will be exclusively for potty training.. Yeah, it's cold outside and I have nothing really pressing to do;).. Please have some wine for me!!
(((hugs)))

Becky!!! said...

Good job Hen!!! I have no advice since Nathan's still happily living in diapers and cannot make the correlation if we try to bribe him. We still have 20 weeks to work on it before little sissy comes along though!