The negativity is bringing me down. Really bringing me down. This is my home and even if we do pack our things and move to a city on my long list of dream locations, I need to live in the present now and stop mentally bashing this poor sad little state.
Things I actually like about Mississippi:
1. My town. We live in a little university town. I like it and I like the people a lot. We actually have diversity which is unheard of in Mississippi.
2. Our house. We live in the house my dad grew up in which is pretty awesome but even more awesome is that this little house is in the best possible location in town. Love that.
3. Mississippi has a long sordid history. From slavery to the Jim Crow era to the latest hate killing last summer, this state has been in the depths of depression since the Civil War's reconstruction era. Yet, I honestly believe that great gains are being made and race relations are better each year. And, I can like that.
4. Good things are going on within the world of sustainability. We have organic farmers, grass-fed livestock operations and people who really care about the food we feed our children. And, since this movement is just now picking up steam in Mississippi, it's easy to feel like you are a part of the change.
5. I really like the weather. Sure, it's hot as all get out in the summer but that is what summer is for. To sweat and wear minimal clothing. But, man oh man, have I been loving our winter weather. I don't even think I've pulled out a winter hat once this winter and I haven't worn a jacket in weeks. Balmy winters are super nice.
I suppose I've convinced myself that Mississippi isn't all bad.