With your doula and your advocate husband by your side, you know you can rock a natural hospital birth. But, are you sure your ob* will be as supportive as he claims?
Listen to your gut.
Listen between the lines.
Don't be afraid to fire your doctor even if you are in your 3rd trimester.
Questions to ask to ensure your ob is as natural friendly as he claims:
1. What does a natural birth mean to you?
2. How often do you attend planned unmedicated births?
3. How do you feel about doulas?
4. How do you feel about me laboring at home?
5. What are your opinions on birth plans?
6. What pushing positions do your unmedicated patients use? *Run far far away if he only says the lithotomy position*
7. Do I get an 'on-call' doctor or will you attend my labor and delivery?
8. What is your policy about post-term births?
9. Is delayed cord cutting and immediate skin-to-skin normal protocol?
10. Basic natural birth questions: no iv or just a heplock? freedom of movement during labor? food and water? intermittent external monitoring? limited cervical checks? no purple pushing?
*I am using an ob/gyn as an example but also be mindful that Certified Nurse Midwives (CNMs) are not automatically natural minded simply because they are a midwife. Beware of "medwives"!