This is my absolute favorite way to eat lentils. And, even though you can easily substitute the stock for water, don't leave out the red wine!
Braised Lentils My Way
*adapted from Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything Vegetarian
2 tblsp extra virgin olive oil
1 onion, chopped,
2 carrots, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
2 tblsp paprika
0.5 cup red wine
2 cups vegetable stock or water (I usually use water and it's fine)
1 cup dried lentils, rinsed
salt and pepper
1. Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pot.
2. When hot, cook onion and carrot until the onion is soft.
3. Add garlic and paprika and cook for another minute.
4. Add wine, stock/water and lentils. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
5. Bring to a boil, then turn down to a low simmer so the mixture still gently bubbles.
6. Cover and stir occasionally until the lentils are tender (30-45 minutes).
7. Serve over brown rice or mix with rice to use as a stuffing for bell peppers/zucchinis, etc.