2. Failure to progress? Um. Most likely failure to wait.
3. Previous cesareans increase chances of placenta previa, placenta accreta, placenta increta, placenta percreta.
4. Babies are designed for vaginal birth. Wet lungs are more common for section babies because the fluid from their lungs is not squeezed out during labor.
5. Doctor error.
6. Cesareans are major abdominal surgeries.
7. Your cesarean section's recovery time coincides with the very special time you are initiating breastfeeding and bonding with your newborn.
8. Labor and delivery is good for women. Our bodies are designed for birth.
9. Hospital acquired infections.
10. VBAC is a safe and reasonable option for most women.
I often think about how it just took a friend's casual question of my interest in natural childbirth during Liza's early pregnancy to spark my path to a homebirth and full-fledge birth junky. So, to all my previous c-section mamas, please know a VBAC is a very real option! If your current provider does not agree with ACOG's recommendation that VBAC is a safe and reasonable option for most women, find a new provider!
Interested in learning more about VBAC? Find a local ICAN chapter or join the forums.
Did you have a VBAC? Are you planning a VBAC?
* Don't like this list? You weren't the only one........read my followup post here.