This post was written for inclusion in the Freedom of Cloth Carnival hosted at Natural Parents Network by Melissa of The New Mommy Files and Shannon of The Artful Mama. This year’s carnival will run from Sunday, July 3rd through Saturday, July 9th. Participants are sharing everything they know and love about cloth diapering, including how cloth has inspired them.
I have a confession:
Soap nuts are a big fat fail with my cloth diapers.
I know. I know. I gushed and I gushed.
But, they are a fail. A big.fat.fail.
Are you disappointed?
Did you buy into my hype? If so, I do still love soap nuts for our regular laundry. Our clothes are soft and our whites are white. But, after about 6 months of washes with soap nuts, my pockets diapers are not functioning properly and were recently subjected to a looong day of stripping with blue Dawn dish soap and lots of hot water rinses to stop the repelling and leaking through the PUL.
So, we are back on the homemade laundry detergent. And, I have to admit, I am really loving it. Loving it so much that I'm not really sure why I ever switched the diapers over to soap nuts.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
My homemade "diaper friendly" laundry detergent:
Equal parts --
OxyClean (I buy off-brand)
1. Mix all ingredients.
2. Use 1 OxyClean scoop of mix per cloth diaper wash.
Seriously. This stuff couldn't be easier. Or cheaper. Or more convenient to dump into a big mason jar and proudly proclaim to have made your own laundry detergent!
Visit Natural Parents Network for the most up-to-date news on the Freedom of Cloth Carnival!
Please take time to read the submissions by the other carnival participants on the following themes. Articles will go live on the scheduled theme day:
- Sunday, July 3rd, 2011: Cloth Related Recipes — Writers share their best cloth-related recipes and tutorials.
- Monday, July 4th, 2011: Choosing Your Cloth Style — Today’s posts discuss parents' individual journeys to finding the cloth diapering "style" that best suits their families.
- Tuesday, July 5th, 2011: Cloth Diapering Must Haves — Parents talk about the most important items in their diapering “stash” and why they love them.
- Wednesday, July 6th, 2011: Wordless Wednesday, Inspired by Cloth — We asked parents to share their favorite cloth-related photo with us and turned them into a fluffy Wordless Wednesday photo montage on Natural Parents Network. Link up your own Wordless Wednesday post there!
- Thursday, July 7th, 2011: Cloth Through the Stages: From Infancy to Potty Independence — Today’s participants explain how cloth diapering has served their families throughout one or more stages of their children’s lives.
- Friday, July 8th, 2011: Cloth Troubleshooting and Laundry Day — Seasoned cloth diapering parents share their best tips and tricks for handling common cloth problems and tackling the diaper laundry.
- Saturday, July 9th, 2011: Inspired by Cloth — For today’s theme, we’ve asked writers to explore the ways cloth diapering has inspired them to become "greener" overall.